-
November 22nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Since I've got a brand new set of RCE 310's, I will try to use them with the SMC by raising the FP with the B&M. Am I the first to try this? Any hints, tips and knowledge of pitfalls are very welcome!
Thanks,
Mark.
-
November 22nd, 2002, 03:15 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Well,
The SMC is meant for use with 440's and 450's, the whole point being stock fuel pressures, etc...
I am pretty sure you can use the SMC and 310's together. The benefits over an FMU have to be pretty great, even with the 310's.
As far as fuel pressures go, I don't think that looking at your fuel pressure gauge will work to appropriately tune the SMC.
If anyone is to purchase the SMC, a dyno is a MUST but the end result is a very well tuned car without the fear of your FMU crapping out.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 22, 2002 11:16 AM: Message edited by: CROM ]</font>
-
December 1st, 2002, 10:57 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Originally posted by CROM:
Well,
The SMC is meant for use with 440's and 450's, the whole point being stock fuel pressures, etc...
I am pretty sure you can use the SMC and 310's together. The benefits over an FMU have to be pretty great, even with the 310's.
As far as fuel pressures go, I don't think that looking at your fuel pressure gauge will work to appropriately tune the SMC.
If anyone is to purchase the SMC, a dyno is a MUST but the end result is a very well tuned car without the fear of your FMU crapping out.
It's not an absolute necessity to get a dyno when using the SMC since it's basically the same as tuning with a FMU. You can use an AF gauge and read the spark plugs for rough street tuning to get you in the "ballpark". Granted, a more elaborate method is to use a wideband AF and an EGT gauge.
BTW, raising the static pressure to ~60psi with 310s will only raise the flow rate to about 370cc which is only good for about 4psi or less. The best cost effective method is to purchase a used set of 450cc turbo eclipse injectors from dsmtrader.com
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 02, 2002 02:08 AM: Message edited by: zip ]</font>
-
December 2nd, 2002, 06:07 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Originally posted by CROM:
Zip,
I disagree. With the SMC, unless there is something you are not mentioning that comes with the instructions, there are no baseline settings.
The SMC has factory baseline settings based on testing on a typical GSR DragIII turbo 7-8psi setup. I forgot to mention that these are mentioned in the installation instructions, which includes a general tuning guide. [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
December 2nd, 2002, 04:09 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
Zip,
I disagree. With the SMC, unless there is something you are not mentioning that comes with the instructions, there are no baseline settings. There is also very little testing as far as I can tell, and no true dyno testing so far. Of course the SMC is new, etc....
Lets say I get an SMC and do not wish to test it on a dyno and only have an A/F gauge. For an A/F gauge using the stock 02 sensor, it is completely inaccurate. Yes, it may be close, but I don't trust that gauge at all.
I just don't see how you could take a set of 440's, and the SMC and take it out on the street and tune it with an A/F gauge using the stock 02 sensor for readings.
Of course FMU tuning is similar, but we do not have 2 years worth of tuning efforts to prove what works and what doesnt with the SMC. In the future, more people will purchase the SMC and more solid settings/figures/numbers will come out. But right now, as far as people being the guinea pigs, a dyno is the best bet.
What I want to see is someone wit a 6psi dyno chart, an 8psi dyno chart, a 9psi dyno chart, and a 12psi dyno chart for JRSC Integras, Civics, Civic Si's, Preludes, etc....
I think your product is great, and hopefully will own one in the next few months(if I dont sell my car) and will take it to a dyno first thing.
Cheers for great engineering Zip!
-
December 6th, 2002, 04:19 AM
#6
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor=""><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by zip:
<snipped stuff>
BTW, raising the static pressure to ~60psi with 310s will only raise the flow rate to about 370cc which is only good for about 4psi or less. The best cost effective method is to purchase a used set of 450cc turbo eclipse injectors from dsmtrader.com
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 02, 2002 02:08 AM: Message edited by: zip ]</font></font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hello Zip,
Bit late on the response, hope you're still listening...
I think I can duplicate your calculation: at 60psi FP my 310's should flow about SQRT(60/43)*310 which almost comes to your 370CC.
Currently, I'm running the stock 240cc injectors, with the JR FMU. Static FP is set for 55 psi, so at a rising rate of 5 my FP will get to about 90psi at 7psi boost. Using the same formula shows that this yields a flow of about 350cc from the stock injectors. According to my A/F gauge and J&S I am not running too lean.
My conclusion would be that the 310's flow more then enough at 60psi FP. What am I missing here???
-
December 6th, 2002, 07:59 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Originally posted by mgro:
Hello Zip,
Bit late on the response, hope you're still listening...
I think I can duplicate your calculation: at 60psi FP my 310's should flow about SQRT(60/43)*310 which almost comes to your 370CC.
Currently, I'm running the stock 240cc injectors, with the JR FMU. Static FP is set for 55 psi, so at a rising rate of 5 my FP will get to about 90psi at 7psi boost. Using the same formula shows that this yields a flow of about 350cc from the stock injectors. According to my A/F gauge and J&S I am not running too lean.
My conclusion would be that the 310's flow more then enough at 60psi FP. What am I missing here???
You can try it but the SMC is really made to reduce unnecessary strain on the stock fuel system by using stock fuel pressures. If you have an upgraded fuel pump capable of high fuel pressure then you can try the 310s, but I advise just purchasing a set of used DSM 450cc which typically cost $50 a set.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks